Writers cited in Santiago’s Children
- A Nation of Enemies by Pamela Constable and Arturo Valenzuela
- “Reflexiones sobre el barrio” by Steve Reifenberg in El Mercurio (in Spanish)
- My Invented Country by Isabel Allende
- Machuca (2004), a Chilean film about two boys from two different worlds who witness the 1973 military coup, written and directed by Andrés Wood
- Fly to the Rescue by Steve Reifenberg, a short memoir that appears in the Autumn 2010 edition of the Notre Dame Magazine, providing insight into American and Chilean culture through the affectionate and animated story of Steve’s family adopting a dog named Fly.
- “The Odyssey Years” by David Brooks
- “Planning a Life With Room for Debate” by Lisa Belkin
- “Write Till You Drop” by Annie Dillard
- “Earth Movers” by Anthony DePalma from the Notre Dame Magazine
Traveling to Chile
- Santiago Adventures offers tours to the mountains, coast and vineyards of Chile.
Recommended books of general interest
- Mountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, A Man Who Would Cure the World by Tracy Kidder
- Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor by Paul Farmer
- Three Cups of Tea: One Man’s Mission to Promote Peace…One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin